Silicone baking mats are very useful in the kitchen. They a super handy for use in baking, cooking and food preparation. Their main purpose is to prevent food from sticking to the baking tray in the oven. As they do not require oil or butter food baked using a silicone can be economical in the long run. Just like with nonstick pans.
Of course one advantage of a silicone mat over a non-stick pan is that you can use your baking mat in both the oven and microwave. The fact that they can be reused thousands of times means there are even more long term savings that benefit you. Take good care of it and you will find it makes life easier and saves you a lot of money.
Step by step instructions for using a silicone baking mat:
- Preheat the oven (do not exceed 230° C)
- Place the silicone baking mat onto a cookie or baking tray
- Place the food directly on to the baking mat and cook as directed in the oven
- Remove the cooked food from the baking mat and then shake off the excess food crumbs from the surface of the silicone mat.
- Cookies tend to spread out more with a silicone baking mat than on a traditional cookie sheet.
- If the silicon mat is way too big you can fold it in half to fit the tray better.
- If you are going to be using the mat with the same pan all the time and want it to fit better you can trim the silicone mat to size.
- There is no need for any oil, butter, ghee, or any type of grease. Oils permeate silicone so it’s best to wash off any oils with a bit of soap and water if you do end up getting some oil on the silicone mat.
- Even so, some people have reported using oil on silicone mats for years without finding it to be a problem.
- We generally recommend not to leave oils on silicone mats for too long. Simply wash oils off after use and you’ll have nothing to worry about.
- Remove the food before cutting food. Don’t scrape food off the silicone mat with sharp utensils.
- For longer life avoid using the dishwasher. Some dishwasher soaps are very harsh. Remove the cooked food from the baking mat and then shake off the excess food crumbs from the surface of the silicone mat. Hand wash the silicone baking mat with soap and water and a soft sponge.
What can I cook on a silicone mat?
Silicone baking mats are not only great for use when baking cookies, they can also be used for plenty of other things. Use a silicone baking mat when cooking savories such as a delicious baked white fish. Super easy to prepare. Season the fish with salt, pepper and coriander. Serve with fresh lemon slices people can squeeze on to their fish.
Another use is to catch overflow from a dish that tends to bubble over. Save yourself from having to clean the mess out of the oven by catching the overflow with your silicone baking mat. Just place the mat under the baking tray. As long as you observe the maximum temperature rating for your mat you are good to go with many different uses. Don’t be limited to just using it as a tray liner.
Got a sticky recipe? Caramel, dough, or batter, make your life easier with a silicone non-stick mat.
How do I store my silicone non-stick mat?
The easiest way to store your silicone non-stick mat is to roll it up and place it in a drawer that doesn’t have sharp things in it.